Open Call to Artists: Popps Packing Local Winter Residency,
November 2023 – March 2024
Popps Packing invites serious studio artists to apply for our Local Winter Residency, offering a unique opportunity to live and work within our vibrant arts complex located on the Hamtramck Detroit border.
- Duration: 1- 3 month stretches, November 2023 – March 2024
- The space accommodates 2 resident artists at one time (Residency 1 available November 1st, Residency 2 available December 1st.
- Accommodation: Resident artists will be provided with a private bedroom within a 2 bedroom loft-style studio. In this communal living arrangement, you will have access to shared kitchen, bathroom, and studio spaces. Please note that the Popps Residency functions as a studio space 1st and may not offer the cozy comforts of a home atmosphere. The private bedrooms are comfortable and well-maintained, but the overall ambiance is that of a concrete loft-style warehouse.
- Cost: $700/ Month utilities included payment for the full residnecy term can be paid upfront or on the 1st of each month if stying for multiple months.
Who We Are Looking For:
We are seeking artists with a serious studio practice who can make the most of the facilities, space, and time that Popps Packing offers. Artists must be able to live/work alongside other artists. Artists must commit to maintaining the communal working/ living environment.
More about life at Popps Packing:
Popps Packing is a communal and familial environment that fosters a sense of community among resident artists. A permanent resident resides on the premises in a separate apartment above the studios and has regular access to laundry facilities, the Popps workshop and the yard. Our founding Resident artists, Graem Whyte and Faina Lerman, live across the street and have their studio and workshop spaces within the same building.
Popps Packing occasionally hosts small gatherings, public events, workshops, open studios, tours, and other community activities. We prioritize clear communication and will inform resident artists in advance of these events. We also encourage resident artists to propose and host public-facing programs during their residency, which could be a workshop, performance, open studio, artist talk or screening.
The Popps Packing building is an old warehouse, and as such, continuous maintenance and upkeep are performed throughout the year.
To apply for the Popps Packing Local Winter Residency, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Include the following information:
- ‘Local Winter Residency’ in the subject header
- Name ( first and last)
- Preferred pronouns
- Contact info, including email address and phone #
- Where are you from (do you live here now?)
- A link to a website or other online platform where your work can be viewed.
- PDF attachments of work samples( details below)
- Brief bio and Resume/CV
- Preferred Months ( November- March)
- A brief description of any proposed projects that you would like to work on while in residence
- Reference name and phone number
PDF PORTFOLIO GUIDELINES:
File Size: 10 MB maximum
Naming: Full Name_(year)residency ’
Work samples should include CV/Resume and one of the following submissions:
STILL IMAGES: up to 10 still images (JPEG, max 1200 pixels on any side). Each image should have a caption of 200 characters or less that includes title, date created, medium and any other information that informs the work
TIME-BASED: URLs to specific work on host sites (Vimeo, YouTube, Soundcloud, etc.). Each URL should have a caption of 200 characters or less